Saturday, November 21, 2009

I posted this on the General Community on BFC - thought I would re-post here

I have been reading the last few days some of the negative comments and many of the positive. To be honest I would have loved to have something to say that would change the negativity, but it would be easier to move a mountain than to change someone's mind. So, I am simply going to share something personal that I am thankful for.
My weight gain over the last few years was due to the up of having a baby, the down of getting divorced, the stress of being the only active parent in my daughter's life, the down of dealing with many medical conditions of her's by myself, the up of finally finding the person that I was meant to be with, and the down of suffering silently while both my parents have suffered major illnesses.
I had been slowly "writing myself out of my own life" by not making time for my self, and my body paid the price of that. Today my Dad waits on a kidney transplant list and I watch his other organs take the toll of his waiting (in a week's time they will put a defibulator in his heart because his heart is weakening), while my Mom is battling stage 3 breast cancer (diagnosed in Aug.). Many nights I cry at the thought of losing them, but more importantly it woke me up to the need to take action for myself and my daughter - to be healthy. While I am not "grossly overweight", I was not the "best" or healthiest I can be. Jorge's program was my answer that I prayed for, because I couldn't do it alone.
I signed up for this program to lose weight. I have lost 10lbs and 3 inches on my waist. But, my success is no longer driven by the weight loss. Its not about 4lbs here or 4 lbs there. Its about finally taking control over my life. This week my Mom had surgery after months of chemo and I did not turn to food. I turned to myself because I have learned that I am stronger than the food that I had put in my mouth so many times.
I am thankful for Jorge, Kim and the crew because they have taught me more about myself and have helped to "write me back into my own life".
This Feb. I will go on a cruise with my family (it was our goal that we promised my Mom when she was first diagnosed). I hope to be at my goal weight by then, but if I am not I will be happy that I am just at a better place. I recognize that it may be one of the last family vacations that we all share together with the whole family being there . At the end of it all I am proud of myself and I can be a role model that my daughter is proud of too.
This Thanksgiving I will keep Jorge, his family, his staff and my new BFC friends in my heart and prayers. I am truly thankful for you all.

1 comment:

  1. My heart goes out to your family in this very difficult time with your Mom and Dad. You are correct that you need to be healthy and strong for them. Your daughter will also need that strength from you and you are teaching her a wonderous thing by setting an excellent example of how to deal with stress and difficult emotional things.
    Sera

    ReplyDelete