Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Its week 5 and we are a 1/3 of the way through

It's amazing to think that I have stuck to something for 4 weeks now - going into my 5th week! I know why... it's because it works and I like how I feel. O.k. -so the weight loss is great too. This is the one time that it's a compliment to be called a loser :)
Right before I started BFC, I was at the heaviest I had ever been (heavier than when I was pregnant - did I just admit that?). On my own, I lost a few pounds before my first day, but I was so afraid of it not staying off (like so many times before). See, a few years ago I did Nutrisystem and lost 30 lbs (took me about a year to lose). In the years that followed, I gained it all back and then some (about another 15 lbs). The first few weeks were sometimes hard because when I would weigh myself, in my head I would think - "Wow, I haven't even reached the weight that I started Nutrisystem at". Those additional lbs. were the most e"motionally represented" pounds because they came after I spent all this time and money to take it off in the first place. They represented a place I swore I would never get to (emotionally and physically). Over the last few coaching sessions, I have learned to let the power that those lbs. weighed on me - go away (no pun intended).
Looking back to when I was on Nutrisystem - it was easy to just eat what you are told to eat, avoid this food and that drink, but not understand why you were doing it. I didn't own the weight loss - they did! When the weight is lost and the orders stopped needing to be placed, as a consumer - you could go on a maintenance plan that they offered, to teach you how to keep the weight off, but at that point - why bother? In my head I thought - "Hey, I lost the weight - what's the point". "I won't make that mistake, again."...
Jorge has stressed so much about understanding what you eat and how it affects your body. "Baby steps, then walk, then run". I remember the first online session and how people complained and wanted everything in front of them - "NOW". People left comments "Just tell me what to eat" or "Just give me the food list". But, he held back and stepped us all the way into our 5th week now.
So I got on the scale today and without realizing it - I have lost enough weight that I'm down to the weight before I started Nutrisystem. I have shed those extra "post Nutrisystem" pounds. To be honest, now I'm not sure why it even meant that much to me, but it did. I have 34.5 lbs. to go (since of course I never did reach my goal weight on Nutrisystem). But, I know I will do it here.... and it's because I understand now. This is not a diet it's a meal "plan" - a "plan of attack". To take back what belongs to me and get rid of what doesn't. Those 34.5lbs does not belong to me and I am actually interested to see what I learn about myself as I lose each and every one of them.

1 comment:

  1. Maura - love your saying "I didn't own the weight loss - they did!" I can tell you own it now! So glad too have you as one of my #BFC buddies!

    ReplyDelete