Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving Day

So it's almost over... The first big eating day of the holiday season is almost behind me. A few weeks ago, I was panicking about days like this and would it cause me to revert to old ways. A week ago, my BFC friends decided we could all pull some recipes and help each other! The support mskes the difference!
Lessons I learned:
1. Bring foods that are acceptable to the BFC meal plan. I offered to make the veggies because I knew what my protein was going to be... turkey. This way there wasn't any excuses on my part. I made the sweet potatoes recipe on my blog and took 1/2 a portion. I made broccoli and green beans. I put such time into making them - steaming the vegetables, and seasoning them that I was proud to pick what I had made over unhealthy choices.
2. Trust that you have the tools and put them into action. I knew what I needed to stay away from, and (for the most part) I did it. Being on this plan I have learned that I have more strength in me than I knew I had.
3. Forgive yourself if you don't achieve 100%. A few weeks back I slipped into old ways and in order to continue on this journey and succeed - I needed to forgive myself and to learn from my mistakes. So did I achieve 100% today - no, but I am happy with the progress!!!! Did I allow myself to induldge in a piece of my Dad's homemade pumpkin pie?... absolutely!!!! But, something I did that I have NEVER done before - I had a "taste" of it. I didn't get a whole piece. My own 6 year old daughter told my Mom, "I don't want a slice like my Mom's - that's too tiny"! But, that's all I needed... just a taste. I didn't miss out. Did I keep my 15/6 - probably not, but I was darn close. This was the only thing that I was "off" on. I skipped the mashed potatoes made with milk and the stuffing.
4. Remember it is the company that makes the meal - not the food. The time I spent with my family today was so much more important to me than the food we were eating.

So I hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving and I hope today was successful, but if not - it was just one day in this process and we have so many more days to come! We can do this, we just need to remember that we did not gain the weight overnight. We did not create these mental blueprints in our head telling us how to eat overnight either. But, each day we are chipping away the old foundation (and the weight) and creating a new & stronger foundation for the rest of our life!

No comments:

Post a Comment